We spend all this time prepping and looking forward to the Holiday season, flying through Thanksgiving, followed shortly after by Christmas and then New Years just a week after that. With this flurry of activity, it can be a nice feeling to have some free time to yourself when all of it has passed. That being said, once the dust of the Holiday Season has settled, it’s easy to fall into a place of boredom, dreariness, and lack of motivation. After all, what is there to look forward to next? Summer is a ways away, and you have to keep active and engaged in the day-to-day somehow! Well, fear not, Los Angeles locals, the following are some great activities, sights and events to take advantage of this month to kick off 2015!
1. Dine like the stars at LA Restaurant Week: Take the opportunity to indulge in some of the most delicious food the city has to offer at some of its finest establishments during this two-week event featuring prix-fixe menus at over 300 noted restaurants. Some hotspots participating in this event include Gusto, Duke’s Malibu, Blue Plate Taco, and Mr. Chow. For the full list of participating restaurants, check out this article
2. For the Comedy-Inclined, The Anna Wintour Bio Musical: Actor Ryan Raftery plays the most powerful woman in fashion, the editor-in-chief of Vogue Magazine, Anna Wintour, in this hilarious musical spoof, which has already garnered a great deal of recognition in New York City. See what the buzz is all about at the new-to-LA show this January- lots of laughs are a guarantee!
3. Get Your Feng-Shui on at the BoConcept Sale: This posh home goods & furniture store is having a 25% off sale through January 31st, so now is the perfect time to launch that resolution of new year, new you! Or rather, new apartment decor. Take advantage of the chic goods and give your pad a facelift!
4. Reconnect with Your Inner Bookworm at the Printed Matter’s Art-Book Fair: From art books to periodicals, to vintages magazines to monographs, there is undoubtedly something for everyone here. Whether you’re looking for creative inspiration or a coffee-table piece, you’ll be astounded at the vast sea of books that they have to offer. Check out the event on January 29-Feb 1.
5. See Incredible Art from Talented Photographers at the Photo LA Exhibit: Returning for its 24th annual installment, Photo LA is sure to wow with the incredible works it has collected to showcase from artists across the globe. This photo-art fair is an LA classic, so don’t miss out on its coolness this year.
6. Satisfy your sweet tooth at Cookie Con: You know Comic Con? That event every year where all those who are dedicated to classic comics and love them more than anything gather to celebrate the industry? Well, imagine that, but with cookies. Couldn’t really get any better, could it? Not to mention, free samples galore. You really don’t want to miss this one!
7. Get Refreshed for the New Year with The Springs Detox Workshop: What better way to kickstart your resolution for a happier, healthier year than to get together with a bunch of like-minded individuals and plan out just how to properly execute said resolution. With this detox workshop, you’ll learn from experts how to be a smarter grocery shopper, how to form an exercise regimen (that you can actually stick to), and how to eat for optimal digestive health, just to name a few topics.
8. For the Movie Buff, the Santa Barbara International Film Festival: Check out the latest movie releases and mingle with the stars, (okay, maybe just sight the stars), at this annual film festival which notoriously attracts some of the biggest in the biz. Definitely worth the trip up the coast!
These are just a few of the awesome things happening in LA this January. For more events and activities, check out this article by Refinery 29 and keep the winter fun going!